Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Information and Resources

These links are provided for information only. Some of this guidance may change frequently so make sure you check the most recent advice. CARIS Haringey is not responsible for the content of any external website.

General guidance

COVID-19 is an illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.

For all the latest government guidance, go to:

For NHS advice go to:

For advice on aspects of life affected by coronavirus, such as work, benefits and travel, go to:

CARIS services

As restrictions are being eased, we are gradually opening more of our services in person again, taking extra precautions to ensure we operate in a COVID-safe way. Please help us by only coming to our office if you have an appointment.

Some activities, such as our ESOL classes are still running online for the time being.

We are still accepting donations of food and toiletries to distribute to families in need. Please contact us if you would like to donate. You can also give money online here.

If you are a CARIS client in need of emergency support or advice, please contact us.

If you are a professional and would like to refer a new client to us, please complete the referral form.

Help in Haringey

If you are currently isolated at home and need some practical support, you can fill out a form here to request help.

If you are worried about the impact of coronavirus on your money, accessing essential items or accessing the support you need, you can call Haringey’s Connected Communities line on 020 8489 4431. This line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm. For more information, and other ways of getting in touch, visit the Connected Communities page.

Education & childcare

The Government has published guidance for parents and carers with what you need to know about schools, nurseries and other educational settings.

Free school meals

If you did not previously qualify for free school meals but your income has reduced or stopped, you may qualify based on your new financial circumstances. Eligibility has also been temporarily extended to include children of some families who have no recourse to public funds (NRPF).

If you qualify for free school meals for your child, their school will assist you in providing food for your child. This will apply even if your child is not currently attending school due to closures. Find out more on the Haringey website.

Home learning and play

Each school is taking different measures to support learning at home and can provide information and resources.

There are also lots of ideas online for activities you can do at home with your children. If you’re not sure where to start, check out these links from Haringey.

Psychologists have put together some handy tips for play and interaction with your children at home to support their wellbeing.

Extension of Early Years provision

The Secretary of State for Education has decided to temporarily extend eligibility for the free early education entitlement to 2-year-olds from families in receipt of Section 17 support who have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF), for the duration of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak only. This is to support their safety and wellbeing whilst restrictions are in place.


The main symptoms of coronavirus are:

    • a high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
    • a new, continuous cough – this means you’ve started coughing repeatedly
    • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms.

If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:

    • Get a test to check if you have coronavirus as soon as possible. Call 119 if you have problems using the online service.
    • Only leave your home to have a test. You and anyone you live with should stay at home and not have visitors until you get your test result.

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:

  • you’re worried about your symptoms
  • you’re not sure what to do

Call 111 for free if you cannot access online services or are worried about a baby or child under 5. You can ask for an interpreter in your language. All NHS services for coronavirus are free for everyone regardless of their immigration status in the UK.

If you’re pregnant and worried about coronavirus, you can get advice about coronavirus and pregnancy from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.


Most adults in the UK are now eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

The NHS will let you know when it’s your turn to have the vaccine. If you did not book when you were contacted, you’re still eligible and can book your appointments anytime.

You will need to be registered with a GP surgery in England. Anyone can register with a GP. You do not need proof of address or immigration status.

The Government has published guidance for landlords and tenants during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Emergency legislation has increased notice periods to 6 months, in most cases, until at least the end of March 2021.

Restrictions have also been introduced to limit when and where bailiffs can enforce evictions.

The Chartered Institute of Housing has information on how the coronavirus affects migrants’ access to housing and benefits on its Housing Rights Information website.

If you are a tenant or other occupier, and the landlord gives you notice, it is important to seek advice as soon as possible. Contact us to arrange to speak to an advice worker.

If you have immigration queries related to coronavirus, you can contact the Coronavirus Immigration Help Centre.


Telephone: 0800 678 1767 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Calls are free of charge.

The Home Office continues to process applications under the EU Settlement Scheme but in the light of the coronavirus outbreak they will take longer than usual. Home Office support services and application routes have now all fully reopened in line with public health guidance. This includes the reopening of the postal route for submitting identity documents for applicants who are unable to use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app to verify their identity.

The Home Office has published a collection of guidance for those affected by changes to UK immigration and borders due to coronavirus.

The Refugee Council is regularly updating its website with changes to asylum and resettlement policy and practice in response to COVID-19.

Mental wellbeing

Visit Every Mind Matters for practical tips on taking care of your mental wellbeing while staying at home, and links to lots of useful resources.

Mind in Haringey also has a list of resources for looking after your mental health and more.

Doctors of the World has tips and advice for migrants’ mental health and wellbeing in 27 languages.

If you live in Haringey, Enfield or Barnet, there is a new helpline for anyone experiencing a mental health crisis. You can call 0300 0200 500 to get support or advice 24/7.

If you have specific worries about your circumstances, check out the other sections on this page for sources of information and support around issues such as housing, immigration and safety at home. You can also contact us to request a call from an advice worker.

Safety at home
If you feel scared at home because of the behaviour of your partner or someone else in your household, there is help and support available for you. This includes police response, online support, helplines, refuges and other services. You are not alone.

You can leave your house to escape domestic abuse, such as threats or violence. The instruction to stay at home because of coronavirus does not apply to this. There is never an excuse for domestic abuse, no matter what the circumstances are.

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police – the police will continue to respond to emergency calls.

Otherwise, you can call the Haringey Domestic Abuse Helpline for advice on 0300 012 0213. If it is unsafe for you to speak on the phone, you can email The Haringey Helpline and email are available Monday to Friday, 10am-5.30pm, excluding bank holidays.

Refuge runs the National Domestic Abuse Helpline, which you can call for free, and in confidence, 24 hours a day on 0808 2000 247. Its website provides guidance and support for those at risk, as well as those who are worried about friends and loved ones. It also has a form through which you can book a safe time for a call from the team.

The NSPCC has advice for parents and carers on keeping children safe. This includes advice on separated parents, online safety, protecting from abuse, supporting children with special educational needs and helping children with anxiety.

If you are a child or young person and want to talk to someone about whatever is worrying you, you can call Childline on 0800 1111.

Information in other languages

The Government has published their stay at home guidance for households with possible coronavirus in many different languages.

Doctors of the World also has a large number of translations of NHS guidelines as well as wellbeing tips and advice.

The IOM has multilingual information about COVID-19 measures and support for migrants in the UK. You can select your language at the top right of the website.